Monday 19 November 2012

What I learned in ETL402

I loved this subject.  It allowed me read and learn and discover new ways of reading and learning, as well as new ways of teaching.  I learned that Teacher Librarians need to be knowledgeable about lots of reading resources, and to be flexible, innovative and  adaptable to new teaching and learning strategies.

I learned how important it is for Teacher Librarians to be up to date with curriculum, and to be aware of the possibilities for collaboration and integration of literature, in all forms, across all subject areas.  It was exciting reading young adult fiction and realising that stories continue to be one of the most powerful mediums for teaching and learning. 

Everyone loves a good story, and if it is well told, able to immerse the reader in the moment, and help them to focus in order to understand, appreciate and derive pleasure from their experience of the story, then it will be remembered and the act of reading will have been productive.

I now know how important it is to read young adult literature and to be able to recommend titles to young readers, to be able to discuss storyline, plot, character, setting and genre with them.

Most of all, I loved reading and writing about something I have always loved--reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment